Free Consultation716-831-1111

Okay- what do I need to do to file a Social Security Disability application?

You can file an SSD application online with the Social Security Administration.   You also need to fill out the Adult Disability Report online which will provide the Social Security Administration with your medical and work history. Another form you will need is the Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration. The last form must be either mailed or dropped off at your local social security office. You can also complete an application by mail, phone interview, or in-person office interview.

You have to remember that you must be 18 or over, have worked long enough to qualify for social security disability, and have a medical condition that has or is expected to last at least 12 months or will result in death.

If you have only worked under the table (not reporting your income to the IRS) and have not paid any social security taxes on your income you will not be eligible for social security disability. You may, however, be eligible for SSI (see next post).

It helps for you to provide a Medical Source Statement along with your application. I’ll go into what a Medical Source Statement is in more detail in a later post, but it basically is a form that your doctor fills out on how capable you are of performing different tasks, either physically, mentally, or both.

Please remember that this is just general information, and everyone’s situation is unique. This article should not be considered legal advice.